Regular analysis to help manage sustainability risks and opportunities has always happened throughout our businesses. However, we are focused on improving our understanding of qualitative, quantitative and financial metrics to help pinpoint where actions are required to mitigate risk or maximize opportunities across our affiliates.
As we move forward, sustainability issues are to be identified and managed through:
- ✓ Internal Audit review processes.
- ✓ Use of the BROA (Biodiversity Risk and Opportunity Assessment) tool to review each operation
- ✓ Results of BROA and other relevant reports presented to the RVC Sustainability Steering Committee.
- ✓ The Head of Corporate Affairs reporting to the CEO, and Sustainability Steering Committee any critical concerns on sustainability issues and constraints on non-financial capitals.
- ✓ Senior management within all businesses endorsing the ESMS (Environmental and Social Management System) and participating in sustainability review processes.
- ✓ Analysis of our performance by external rating agencies and research organizations
|OPPORTUNITY TOPIC||DESCRIPTION OF OPPORTUNITY||POTENTIAL POSITIVE DEVELOPMENTS & INITIATIVES|
|Regional Energy requirement||Growing demand for rural electrification and alternatives to unreliable national grid - especially renewable energy. Contributing to the transition from fossil fuels to renewables||Rift Valley Energy growth in the sector. Expanded project portfolio - technology and scale of operations. Mutliple collaboration with development institutions|
|Socio-Econimic impact||The ability to influence employee - grower and community prosperity and resilience||Develop increased impact on employment creations - healthcare - education and skills development. Collaboration with development institutions|
|Food security and agricultural reform||The need for sustainable models of agricultural productivity to meet the demands of growing population||Continual review of our own agri-operations and grower capacity. Maintain awareness of new technologies and research and develop models of success|
|Habitat protection||Identification of local and regional environmental concerns - vulnerable habitat and meaningful solutions||Catalysing conservation initiatives to tackle environmental scenarios. Lobbying government-stakeholders and donors to combine resources to impact sustainable land use (e.g. LAGRI and ACNN initiatives - Mozambique)|
|Collaborative development||Combining with 3rd parties to maximise economic and social development impact throughout our business footprint||Optimise awareness of regional development agendas and potential private public partnerships. Engage donors to highligh private sector (RVC) contributions to economic growth- food securty- resilience and environmental protection|